Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Running With Mom

Five years ago, I never would have believed you if you told me that I’d be running in a race one day. I hated everything about running. I was on the track team in high school, but don’t get me wrong, I hid behind the bleachers during the warm-up and cool-down runs. I stuck with the shot put and disc throwing. I only did sprints if there was a prize involved, like leaving practice early. It took me like twenty minutes to complete a single mile for gym class.


The idea of running for fitness, let along pleasure, completely blew my mind. Why would you put yourself through such torture? The heavy breathing? The pain in your legs? The shin splints? Why?

I’ll tell you why; because you feel like a total rockstar once you finish a great run. I honestly feel like I can do anything once I am finished with a good run. Even fly. Kidding, but that’s comparable to feeling I get after a fantastic workout.

When I breath hard, I slow down- but only a little bit. I view the heavy breathing as a beautiful reminder that I am alive. I am living. I am conquering the world with every single step I take. Every mile I complete, I am living.

The pain is actually a good pain. It reminds me of the quote, “Pain is weakness leaving the body.”

So here I am: 24-years-old and turning into a running machine. Okay, that was dramatic. I have a lot of work to do and miles to complete before I’ll really call myself “a runner” – a true fitness warrior. Maybe after my 2,011 mile journey I will feel confident to say I am a runner. Until then, I’ll settle for the title, “new runner.” Rookie.

Today I emailed my mom:



And her response:


A few minutes later she replied again:
 

Look at all of those explanation points…someone is excited. But really, I am excited too. I’m becoming a new runner and my family is not only supporting me, but joining me!


On March 12, 2011, just 3 days before my mom’s birthday, we will run a race together. We will stay by each others’ side the entire time. I imagine that we will be dressed up too. I mean, completely and obnoxiously dressed up for St. Patty’s Day. Green finger nails. Green hair. Green clothes. Green lipstick. Go big or go home!



My brothers and sisters might join us too. On the other side, I'll have my best friends and running partner Brittany Gerig; the family I’ve picked for myself. The race will be a true family affair.

My heart is so happy and I can’t stop thinking about it.

Much love,
Ashley

2 comments:

  1. LOVE IT. I did a 5k with my mom last summer and we had a BLAST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mel! :) I'm beyond excited! I'm glad you got to run with your mom; you'll never, ever forget it and always cherish that moment of crossing the finish line together!

    ReplyDelete