Monday, March 12, 2012

A Lot Happens in 10 Years

Last Monday night, I cried myself to sleep.

The emotions of the day combined with the news about the devastating tornadoes were simply too much to handle.

Especially during a difficult time of year.

It's been 10 years since I lost my grandpa. 

I started to think about everything he's missed.

My sweet 16th birthday.

What? You didn't have chip & dale's at your surprise 16th birthday?

My first car, which was actually the big blue van you and grandma owned. 

Big Blue - pictured here with a flat tire.

I miss the Gladiator van.
Senior night of cheerleading.

I was NOT coordinated at all.
But I made the team because I was full of spirit.
And made people smile.
My senior prom.

Best prom date, ever.

My high school graduation.

Senior picture.
No, I wasn't a Hollister model, but thanks for asking.
Just kidding. =)



My first true love.

Grandpa, I promise he treats me good. He cooks. He cleans.
He makes me laugh. He inspires me.
And he likes fishing. You would love him.

My sister's high school graduation.

She is the best. Don't know what I would do without my beautiful sister.

My first college graduation (yes, I graduated college twice).

I transferred to IPFW for the Dental Assisting program that December.
By January, I was already registered to go back to Ball State for my Bachelor's in Journalism.
You know me, I couldn't make a decision to save my life.
I changed my major probably 47 times.
Your first great grandson.

The boy who captured my heart from the moment I met him.
Braxen Darrell.
Grandpa, he is a keeper! :)

Your second great grandson.

Landen, the boy who smiles and melts my heart.
Who comes running full blast into my arms when I see him.
I'd be lost without my nephews.
My second college graduation.

Mama T & me on graduation day.
Mom is still beautiful as ever.
My wedding day.

Such a beautiful day.
Justin got me a heart shaped locket with your picture in it.
I put it in my bouquet.
You were close to my heart the entire day, Grandpa.







Cierra's high school graduation.

The grandkids.

We are all older. Maybe a little wiser.
  
Grandpa, we all miss you.
Grandpa and Grandma.

Grandpa and Grandma.
Grandpa probably said something rotten, which is why is laughing and grandma is smirking.

I wish you could go fishing with Justin.

I wish I could eat breakfast with you on Sunday mornings after church.

I wish you would sneak up behind me and rub your aftershave on my face. I know I hated it and got mad at you, but looking back - it makes me smile.

I wish I could eat oranges with you as a mid-afternoon snack.

I wish I could listen to you yell at Cub's on TV. Maybe this will be their year ;)

I wish I could eat sauerkraut with you (I actually like it now!!). 

A lot happens in 10 years. 

But I know that I've got a lifetime ahead of me. And I can't spend that time wishing you were here...so instead, I'll be celebrating our memories. While I know you aren't here with me physically, I believe you are here with me in spirit. I believe you are on my shoulder when I need you the most. When I need someone to look out for me. To guide me in the right direction. You're there.

Miss you, always.

Much love,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment