Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ain't No Mountain High Enough

I have been dreaming about writing this blog, sharing my scuba excitement with you all! I couldn't imagine this day would come this soon....

Before class started, on my first attempt, I swam the 25 feet without my mask and snorkel, got to my buddy and cleared my mask and then the snorkel. Of course, I am up to the surface fist pumping Jersey Shore style!!!!

Even better news....I finally did it! I sank to the bottom of the pool (on the first try) with only one weight belt on.

On top of that, I didn't freak out once and I completed all of the skills today!

In fact, our one skill was to swim on the bottom of the pool in shallow end to the deep end without our goggles. We had to wait until we got to deepest part of the pool to sit down and put the mask on and then clear it. And guess what? I was the first one to finish!!!

The other skill we needed to do was to swim from the bottom of the deep end of the pool to the shallow end, but we had to pretend like our tank was out of air so we could only exhale and once we felt like we couldn't breathe any longer, we needed to come to the surface. I swam 45 feet!! :) I didn't go the longest because some kids actually touched the other end of the pool.

But Carol looked down at me said, "45 feet--- not bad!" She smiled and I said, "Really? Is that okay!"

"Oh yeah,"she said.

SCORE!


It felt great!!! I can't even tell you the feeling I had --- I truly believe with I put my mind to something, I can do it. Confidence is a MUST! But there ain't no mountain high enough and ain't no river wideee enough to keep me from reaching my goalllls baby! :)

I went up to Carol after class and said, "There is just one thing I want to do now!"

And then I gave her a huge high five. She was laughing and smiling.

"Justin will be really proud," she said.

"He probably won't believe me!" I said back kidding around. "He will probably e-mail you to make sure I am not making this up!"

I laughed and then said, "No really, he believes in me so much and he will be so happy!"

***********

Thanks soooo very much to all of you who have supported me and encouraged me throughout this entire process. My journey through scuba definitely isn't over, but I am happy with the path I am heading. You are all incredible people and I am so lucky to know such compassionate and loving people. Believe it or not, I'm actually getting excited about being a SCUBA SIEB on our honeymoon.

And to Justin, my biggest fan, thanks for never ever ever giving up on me. For believing in me and supporting me in ways I couldn't even begin to thank you. I can't wait to be 80 years old and go scuba diving with you and go on shark feedings. Okay, the shark feeding thing--- that's a lie. But I really can't wait to grow old with you babe! :)

Much love,
Ashley

5 comments:

  1. I just hope I don't scuba in a hurriance. HAHA! I actually just described myself as a hurricane today to someone I just met...then proceeded to call Justin the eye of the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know Justin, but I know hurricanes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i feel like my baby just learned to tie her shoes!!

    ReplyDelete