Monday, February 22, 2010

The Power of a Compliment

We live a fast world. A world where we sometimes don't take the time to stop and smile at complete strangers for no reason. We often fail to tell people we appreciate them. And I can't think of the last time I stilled myself in this crazy world just to to smell the fresh air.

But today, I did these things.

Justin left this morning for work again and while I am going to miss him, I won't let it ruin my week. I could be stressing out about my situational analysis due tomorrow and a presentation I have tonight, but I've chosen to let things fall into place --- and its remarkable how stress-free I feel! :)

Instead of waking up really early and working on homework, I had breakfast with Beth because she was in town for lab work. I miss seeing her and dad everyday like in high school. But when I was that age, I didn't take the time to consider hanging out with my family as "cool" --- what does cool even mean? Well, that's another blog.

We had a great time. We laughed so hard and took nearly twenty minutes to order because we couldn't stop talking. I am so glad we have such a good relationship now. She actually suggested what I should order because she knows me so well -- Sea Mist Omelet -- filled with seafood and veggies with cream cheese and chives. Go Beth -- it was an incredible. I had a great time and I told her that. I told her how much I love her and hope to see her soon. I hope she knows how much I appreciate her!

I walked down the street smelling the cold air and looking around the big city. While we live in Indy, we truly live in Castleton -- an area full of desperate housewives and Coach purses. Down town Indy is more than that-- more diverse and more poverty is evident with the homeless people walking around the streets, breaking my heart. But either way, I smelled the air and I was thankful for another day.

I picked up Cayla's dress from David's Bridal this morning. Sorry if you are reading this Cayla and realize I didn't pick it up on Thursday like I said I would. Bride fail.

When I walked into the store, I saw four consultants and a woman behind the desk. I had no idea who to ask for help so I just smiled and said hello to everyone in the store. Someone surely would respond, right?

Well I am thankful for who did respond.

"How can I help you!?" she asked me with smile glued to her face. But the good thing was -- it wasn't a fake smile. It was genuine.

"Well, I just need to pick up a bridesmaid dress for one of my girls," I said.

"Okay, whats the brides name?" she asked.

"Oh me?" I said. Duh, Ashley of course you are the bride. I laughed and said, "That's me - Ashley Bedwell. And the dress is for Cayla Carey."

"I will run back and get it, but I need your ID," she said.

"Mine?" I asked.

What was up with my mouth this morning? I kept asking dumb questions that were obvious. Its not like she wanted the old lady's drivers license from behind me.

"Yeah," she said and smiled. "Just have it ready when I get back."

I saw her walking with Cayla's dress and she put it on the rack and said, "Well I got into a fight with the plastic bag there and the bag took the beating."

I laughed and said, "No worries! It happens to the best of us!"

No sooner than I said, the plastic bags on the rack all started falling to the ground.

"Well, I am about to go back and hide in the back," she said.

I couldn't help but bust out the Ashley Bedwell machine gun laugh -- that is definitely something that would happen to me. I practically break or trip over everything and everyone I touch.

She told me that if I had a veil, I should take a picture of my baby wrapped in veil in the cradle.

"My mom did that and its my favorite picture," she said.

"That's a great idea!" I said. That dang veil cost $200 -- I am going to do everything but wipe my ass with that thing to get to my moneys worth!!!

"I'll definitely do that with Cooper when he is born in a few years and if you still work here, I will bring in pictures," I told.

She loved it and has a nephew named Cooper -- small world.

So we laughed and she shared a story with me out of no where. She told me about her life growing up. She said she grew up in "the hood" but still attended the Cathedral to play basketball. She told me the first party she ever went to and drank beer at was on the Giest Resovior.

"And that was before lifetime movies and Desperate Housewives, so I didn't even know houses that big ever existed," she said. "And my mom loved it that I was going with a white boy because she thought it was cool we were being inter-racial and stuff. And when I got in there, I looked over and saw this little silver thing in the corner. And guess what?!? IT WAS A KEG! No party was ever the same with my hood friends again with their 40 oz cans!"

I loved it. I love that she shared the story and I love that she looked at me and thought of her first kegger. I guess I just have that type of personality that brings the party animal out in everyone... :)

"Also," she started, "If you could, will you bring back a picture of you in your dress. I keep a scrapbook in the back and my father is a preacher so we keep one at church!"

"Absolutely! I sure will!" I said back.

"Great-- that's awesome," she said.

"Yeah, I live here so that won't be a problem at all," I said.

"Well thank you so much," she said. "Because you are just gorgeous!"

Gorgeous? Me? What?!

I was so flattered. I walked out to my car with a big smile on my face. That really made me feel good.

The power of a compliment is strong and really has the ability to make someones day.

Never forget that.

Much love,
Ashley

1 comment: