Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Snapshot of 2010

I was only 13 years old. I, like the rest of the world, watched the final hours of the year 1999 come to an end. Would the world end in 2000? Would aliens come abduct me from my bed? Would a nuclear warfare take place? Would the world disappear into a black hole?


I wasn’t sure what was going to happen, but this is the first time I truly celebrated a new year. The first time I realized that New Years Eve is about celebrating a new beginning.

When the clock struck midnight, I popped open my sparkling apple cider and took a giant swig from the bottle. Like an Irish man drinking out a whiskey bottle after giving a speech at a wedding. Then, I slammed the bottle down and ran outside. I leaped off my steps and dove into the street. I threw my arms in the air and started running. I was alive. I was living. I remember thinking and believing that new opportunities and exciting adventures lay ahead of me.

 I was only 13 years old.

Now, 2011 is creeping up on me. I’m ready to run down the road again and watch own my breath float through the air. Soak in every single moment of joy and happiness in my life. Drench myself in my own tears, knowing I’m a stronger and better person for my struggles.

I'm still trying to think of all the things I want to accomplish in this new year, but before I do that- I would like to take a look at what some of my highlighted moments in 2010.















We brought in 2010 with our fur son, Bandit, at Ann's Lakehouse.















On New Year's Day, we bought Bandit a snuggie. We returned it the following day.



















I signed up for a scuba diving class, which ended up being one of the most challenging classes and life experiences, both emotionally and physically.















I went to visit one of my best friends, Nicole, in Florida. I spent my final spring break of my college with her and we ordered a pizza in the bar. Yes, they delivered the pizza into the bar and we ate it in a mater of seconds.















During that same trip, I watched Hudson all by myself. I even changed his diaper on my own. Successfully. Bring it on, motherhood.


I fit into a size 12! I decided not to let my life be controlled by a number in 2010- but that was a goal size for me. And I was thrilled. Best of all, I got this $120 skirt for $24- thank you, Florida!
















I did a lot of reading with my partner in crime, Ashley G. Can't you tell?


I spent many nights cuddling with my fur son and teaching him new tricks! Like looking like Al Pachino while giving a handshake.

I learned how staying in on Friday or Saturday night can be more fun than going out to a smokey bar and spending all your money.

I had my first drink at a bar with my sister and maid of honor, Sarah!

I celebrated with some of my best friends on their wedding days, such as Mrs. Sarah Miller (MISS YOU- I am coming to see you and David in Germany soon!)

I had the very best Strawberry Martini in the world at The Cheesecake Factory.

I celebrated with my group of PR friends before graduation. I will never forget the amazing and talented friends I made at Ball State.















I got to sit next to one of my favorite bloggers, PR classmates, and friends during graduation, Miss Tiffany Holbert.



Later that night, I dressed up as Khloe Kardashion at my celebrity themed bach. party- seen here with Mary Kaye & Ashley Olsen.

Seriously, what an amazing night. Thank you girls so much for all that you did to celebrate my end of singlehood! I love you!

I married my best friend.

My first dance as a married woman was with my father, the first man to steal my heart. We danced to "Hero" by Mariah Carey and I can't think a better song to represent the way I feel about my dad; he truly is my hero.

Then, my second dance was with my fabulous husband as we surprised everyone with a choreographed dance number. Right before the song broke out into the rock music, I whispered in his ear, "Do you know what you are doing?" He looked at me and smiled, "Nope!" The music changed and before we knew it- the crowd was screaming and clapping. We even got a standing ovation.

I went scuba diving with my husband on our honeymoon. Twice!

I went to the Indy 500 on the hottest day ever.

I stood beside one of my best friend's, Cayla, when she got married. What a beautiful bride!

I watched my little brother grow up before my very eyes...

I ALMOST saw Dave Matthew's Band at Verzion, but instead nearly got sucked up in a tornado and washed away tsunami with my best friends.


I went camping and survived. You should be very, very proud. I probably won't go camping for another five years...


I went on many breakfast dates with my baby nephews, who make me the happiest aunt in the world.

Braxen even taught me how to be a dinosaur.

I finally got engagement pictures (4 mouths after we got married).

I got to see OAR play live again; made me re-live my high school days at the pool house.

I completed my first half marathon with my running partners Sabrina & Brittany.

I celebrated the beautiful marriage of Dusty & Sarah Frey with two of my very best friends, Toni and Drew!

I got to see the Dallas Cowboys beat the Colts with my hubby and family!

I connected with old friends and made new memories. This picture with Leah Frey absolutely cracks me up- it was our first time meeting after being pen pals in elementary school.


And just I ran my best mile pace since my half marathon in October. I have cut off 1 minute and 42 seconds off my mile.

I wanted to go on and on with pictures and stories from 2010. I'm so very blessed to have each and every one of you in my life. Thank you for reading, laughing, sharing and caring so much about me- you will never know how much it truly means to me. I can't wait to see the new memories I make and pictures I take in 2011.

Much love,
Ashley

1 comment:

  1. Love this, Ash! Cheers to more good times and awesome blogs in 2011 :)

    ReplyDelete