Monday, November 19, 2012

A Year of Random Acts of Kindness: Week 2

"Making a decision to have a child--it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
-Elizabeth Stone

 

No, I'm not pregnant (yet!).

However,  becoming a mother is very near and dear to my heart. I honestly can't wait to become a mother. I know being a mother will be a challenging, yet rewarding experience and journey. But I also know how hard families work to grow their family. If only getting pregnant was as easy as "Sixteen and Pregnant" makes it out to be...but I digress.

When I came across a Facebook post from Jordan Rhodes, I knew she was my next "target" for a random act of kindness. Jordan and her husband Klif are currently going through the adoption process. They have a little one of their own, but adopting a child was always part of their master plan together.

The Rhodes Family!

If you or someone you know has ever adopted a child, you know it can be an expensive and emotional process. To cope with the finical implications of adoption, Jordan and her family have been thinking of creative ways to raise money to support their growing family. 

Her most recent project is creating these ADORABLE necklaces designed like a nest.

To symbolize growing their own nest.

I die.
SO. CUTE.
And only $10!!!


Last week, my friend Lindzi Hutton re-posted Jordan's story, and I immediately sent Jordan a Facebook message asking how I could help spread her story + purchase some necklaces! Her response brought tears to my eyes...Jordan's excitement was contagious. And her dedicated to grow her family was inspiring.

I sent her a card that afternoon and ordered four necklaces. I think her story and the necklaces will help me on our own journey as Justin and I continue trying to grow our family. 

Interested to learn more? You're in luck! I had the chance to learn more about Jordan and her family. Read on, my friends!

Ashley: What inspired you to adopt?

Jordan: My husband, Klif, and I have talked about adoption since before we were married.  It has always been a part of our plan.  We have a passion for being around and raising kids and at the same time we know there there are so many kids out there that will never have the opportunity to reach their full potential.  We are also friends with other couples who have adopted over the years.  We've seen both the excitement and the heartbreak the adoption can bring.  After a lot of discussion and prayer, we just knew that adoption was the perfect fit for our family.

Ashley: How has the adoption process been for you? 

Jordan: So far the process for us has been pretty smooth sailing.  Before we started the process, we sat down and talked with a couple who had adopted through our agency. The conversation  really helped us get into the mindset of what we would be expecting and what steps we would be taking.  The application, classes, home study, and biography were all in-depth and time consuming, but nothing we didn't expect.  The hardest park has for sure been the financial aspect.  It's hard to grasp the cost of adoption.  The total out of pocket expenses when we had our son in October 2010 were just over $1,000.  It will cost us somewhere between $20,000-$30,000 to adopt, once all of the expenses are all added up. We have been saving and fundraising non stop for the last 18 months.  It's also emotionally tough since we've gotten to this stage.  We are done with everything and literally just waiting on a call.  We have already been matched up with 2 high-risk birth mothers, both of which fell through.  However, we are doing well at not getting attached before anything is finalized.

Ashley: What gave you the inspiration to design and sell the nest pendants? 

Jordan: I saw the design of the pendants a while back, and they had been on my "to-try" list for quite some time.  I finally got around to it this fall, and the whole bird's nest theme just seemed to fit perfectly with us planning on expanding our "nest".  I have also seen a lot of "buy handmade" sentiment going around this year, and I figured why not give this a shot.  The response has been amazing!

Ashley: What advice do you have for families who are planning to adopt? 

Jordan: Have a plan.  There are many different types of adoptions and there are multiple ways to go about each one!  Not every adoption is the right fit for each family.  Start saving NOW if you think you might adopt.  It is frustratingly expensive.  Most importantly, have patience!  Everything is out of your control, but you will end up with the perfect child for you. Just be prepared to wait!

How You Can Help!!
If Jordan's story touches your heart and you have an extra $10 to spare, please consider purchasing one of these necklaces. Mine are already in the mail, so I'll be happy to model them for you once they arrive!  You can email jordan.w.rhodes@gmail.com for more information / to order. Be sure to check out their Facebook page for pictures and necklace inspiration: www.facebook.com/100Nests

Much love,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment