Thursday, April 18, 2013

My First Letter to Cooper

Dear Cooper,

Fine, I admit it.

I thought you were a girl.

BUT, the tears of joy I cried when I found out you were a boy should be proof enough that I am so happy and blessed to have you as my son.

I was mesmerized during the ultrasound.

Watching you move around.

And wiggle all over the place.

You must get your awesome dance moves and energy from me. You're welcome.

But, you were a little stubborn (you get that from your father). 

You'd even put your arms over your face when we tried to get a good view. You also get that from your father, who hates getting his picture taken most of time.

Me? I don't think anyone has ever told me I'm camera shy. Sorry in advance for the bazillion pictures I'll take of you + Bandit over the coming years. You'll thank me one day I hope...

Anyway, I can't explain the happiness and joy that filled my body once the ultrasound technician told us that you were healthy and growing perfectly.

That's all I wanted to hear.

We even got to see all four chambers of your heart...beating perfectly at 140 bpm. 

When we saw the doctor, he walked into the room and said, "Alright before we talk about the ROCKSTAR ultrasound you just had, I want to answer any of your questions."

We just had a few questions. I wanted to confirm I could run the marathon relay this Saturday and to be honest, I forget what your dad asked. You stole my heart that day. My baby boy, I can't wait to meet you.

We are running our first race together this Saturday!


The doctor assured us that as much as an ultrasound could predict, we are growing a very healthy baby boy.

But I know that your health is not guaranteed.

In fact, no one's health is certain.

A dear friend said goodbye to her baby girl today. She was only two months old. There are no words to explain the heartache and loss their family is experiencing right now.

But because we can never be certain of tomorrow, I want you to know I'll love you every second of every day.

And I'll hug and kiss you as often as possible without driving you crazy.

Okay, I'll probably drive you crazy. 

I'll tell you "I Love You" every chance I get.

I'll play with you even when I am tired.

I'll feed you before I feed myself, but don't be shocked if I sneak a bite of your food when you aren't looking.

I'll support you no matter what sport you play, if any. Although, your dad thinks you'll be in the NFL with the nickname Coo-Joe.

I'll inspire you to share your heart and passion with the world.

I'll protect you from harm....even if that means putting myself in front an alien, shark, or tornado (that's saying something).

I'll read you bedtime stories and we can make up a few stories of our own.

These are just a few of my promises to you. I have hundreds more.

I promise.

Oh, and when I checked out of the doctor's office yesterday, the front office lady asked when I could come back.

Before I could even say anything, I opened my mouth and a burp came out.

I couldn't control it.

"Well, that just must be the baby boy in there," I said.

Sorry I blamed you...

I promise not to do that all the time, but let's be real- you probably had something to do with that embarrassing check-out experience. 

Don't worry- if I have it my way, I have MANY years of embarrassing YOU ahead of me! 

I can't wait to meet you!!!!

Much love,
Mom

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written!!! This little guy is already so, so loved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie! I am so blessed to have such amazing people in my life that already love this little nugget! I am SO excited to meet him in September!! xoxo! Thanks for reading + commenting!

      Delete